I've always used a pre-paid mobile as I don't want to be a slave to a network operator for the rest of my life. It's great to have the freedom to pay whenever you like but if you're not careful, you're spending can get out of control and it can end up costing more than a contract phone.
If you're constantly running out of credit or find that you've been spending much more on top-ups since switching from a contract-based plan, then you might want to give LCMinutes a try. The program allows you to efficiently monitor your call spending in real time, saving you valuable dollars and ensuring that you're never run out of credit.
Setting up the program is a little complicated as you need to set up details of your operator and fiddle around setting the tariffs/call plan that you're on. Once you've got the hang of this though, the app works very efficiently, keeping control over the number of text messages and calls you make from your phone to ensure that you're within your credit limit.
In addition, the program lets you filter listings by month, keep a history of call and message charges, create customized balance sheets and also adds a neat credit consumption guage on your Today screen. I tried it out, and felt that these tools genuinely did help me to keep my call times down and save me money in the process.
If you're the kind of person who chops through credit on your pre-paid phone then LCMinutes is well worth downloading.
- Now all rates for phone call and SMS are set through rates string, similar to previous special rates.
- For phone calls, there are always two rates: normal rates and special rates. Both of them will be applied to all phone calls.
- Add 2 more free minutes counter: extra weekday minutes, extra special rates counter, in addition to the 4 existing counter: weekday, weekend, evening and special minutes counter. Extra weekday, special, and extra special minutes counter are used through share flags in call rates string as defined below.
- Support weekend, evening rates for SMS.
- Add 3 new SMS allowance counter: weekend, evening, and extra weekday. Extra weekday SMS counter is used through share flags in SMS rates string as defined below.
- Now Today or Home Screen display is based on display format string instead of display flags. The content and sequence to display are fully user definable.